Serves two as a main dish or four as a side
In a pinch, it’s great to be able to make a side featuring an item from the staple pantry. In my house the most important staples, apart from baking goods, stock and starches like pastas, are canned ingredients. Fruits, tomatoes, beans, lentils, coconut milk and the star of this recipe; chickpeas! Great as a side, hot or cold, I love a simple chickpea salad and would be as bold as to say this one could even hold its own as a main.
1 X 540g can (approx. 2 cups) Chickpeas, drained and washed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tomato, diced
1 tbsp curry leaves, crushed*
1 tsp butter
3 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
*If you don’t have curry leaves, substitute for 1/2 tsp curry powder
- In a large skillet, warm oil on medium to low heat, then add chickpeas, garlic, green onions, red pepper and spices.
- Cook 2-3 minutes to warm, then add tomato, butter and curry leaves.
- Cook a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Adding lemon juice and salt to your preference, tossing to mix through.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of garam masala.